Clark County Outdoor Burning Information

Burn Barrel Use Prohibited

The use of a burn barrel was banned in the State of Washington effective April 13, 2000. Burning garbage has been illegal in the State of Washington since 1967.

Recreational Fires

Recreational fires under 3'x3'x2' are still allowed in all of Clark County without a permit. Only charcoal or seasoned firewood (not lumber) may be used as fuel for a recreational fire. Recreational fires must be used solely for recreational purposes and may not be used for disposal of yard debris or any other material. Recreational fires may not cause a smoke or odor nuisance to surrounding properties. Recreational fires in excess of 3'x3'x2' need a special written permit from SWCAA.

Residential Burning (Outside the no-burn boundaries)

Residential burning is allowed in piles smaller than 10'x10'x6' outside the southern Clark County, Ridgefield, La Center, Yacolt and Battle Ground no-burn areas with a written permit. If you would like help determining if you are within a no burn area, please give us a call at (360) 574-3058. These permits can usually be picked up at a local fire department and are generally free. If your area does not provide these permits you can call the Clark County Fire Marshal at (360) 397-2186 for permit locations. You can also download and print the Clark County Residential Burn Permit here.

Land Clearing Burning (Outside the no-burn boundaries)

For piles larger than 10'x10'x6' and land clearing operations a written permit and site inspection is required. You need to fill out a land clearing permit application, prior to scheduling the site inspection, with the Clark County Fire Marshal. Depending on the time of year it can take up to a week to schedule the site inspection so please fill out your permit application in advance. Call (360) 397-2186 for the nearest office location. There is a permit fee.

Fire Safety Burn Bans

An annual Fire Safety Burn Ban from July 15 through September 30 prohibits residential and land clearing burning throughout Clark County to protect public safety. This Fire Safety Burn Ban may extend beyond these dates by fire marshal recommendation. Outdoor burning is prohibited within the permanent No Burn Areas year-round, regardless of the Fire Safety Burn Ban. The pre-designated Fire Safety Burn Ban and aggressive complaint and enforcement program are designed to promote clean air, good health and reduced fire danger for everyone.

Agricultural Burning

To qualify for agricultural burning inside the no-burn boundaries you must have filed a Schedule F with your federal income tax. Orchard prunings alone do not qualify for an agricultural burn and other restrictions apply (WAC 173-430). Call SWCAA for detailed information, forms and possible fees. For more information about this program, click here.

Silvicultural Burning

For all silvicultural/forest practice burning call the Pacific Cascades Region of the Department of Natural Resources at (360) 577-2025. There is a permit fee.